Physical Education Major
The Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation offers an undergraduate degree in Physical Education. The Physical Education Non-teaching Track is designed to prepare students to work in a physical activity venue. The Physical Education Teaching Track is designed to prepare students to teach physical education in a K-12 school system. A teaching minor is to be selected in addition to the teaching major to prepare students to enter the Teacher Education program and to become licensed to teach in a K-12 school system.
Physical Education Teaching Track students must meet all requirements for the Physical Education Teaching Track and those requirements needed for Teacher Licensure (27).
Physical Education Non-teaching Track students must meet all requirements for the Physical Education Teaching Track except those needed for Teacher Licensure and an additional 12 credits listed below.
- Program Prerequisite: Students selecting the Physical Education Teaching Track, must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
- Minor: Physical Education Teaching Track requires a teaching minor.
- Grade Requirements: A combined GPA of 3.0 is required for all courses used toward the major. No grade lower than a “C” is acceptable.
- Credit Hour Requirements: Physical Education Non-teaching Track-Total minimum credit hours required in the Major (48). Physical Education Teaching Track-Total minimum credit hours required in the Major (36). Any Physical Education Professional course older than 8 years will not be accepted toward degree requirements.
- Program Code: Physical Education Non-Teaching (5017BS), Physical Education Teaching (5012BS)
- CIPC: Physical Education Non-Teaching (310599), Physical Education Teaching (131314)
All Physical Education students are encouraged to meet with a faculty mentor or the department academic advisor each semester for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-7425 or send a message to BrittniStrickland@weber.edu for more information or to schedule an appointment. Teaching majors are encouraged to also consult with advisors in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education (call 801-626-6269). (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Students must meet with Academic Advisor to declare PEP Major. In addition, students applying for the Teaching Track must also meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog). Students will not be allowed to register for PEP 3520 , PEP 3520L , PEP 3630 , PEP 3660 , PEP 4700 , PEP 4710 , PEP 4860C , PEP 4830 , or PEP 4990 until admission requirements have been met.
Admission requirements include:
- Declared major or minor or BIS in a Physical Education or Coaching Education program.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Students may transfer a maximum of 12 physical education professional course credits from another institution per the Physical Education Program Director approval.
- Fingerprinting/background check must be cleared prior to admission to the program. Provisional admission is granted for one semester only until the check is completed.
Program Retention Requirements
After admission into the Physical Education major/minor programs, students will be retained based on the following:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Earned grade of “C” or above for each required course.
- Clear fingerprinting/background check.
- Retention/improvement of sport specific and fitness skills.
- Student Disposition score above 20 in each course.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements.
General Education courses required for the Physical Education major are:
NUTR LS 1020 Science and Application of Human Nutrition (3)
HTHS LS 1110 BioMed Core
See major and minor course prerequisites for additional General Education recommendation/requirements. Also see Teacher Education Requirements for recommended and required General Education courses for Physical Education Teaching Track Majors.
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
Professional Knowledge (18 credit hours)
Field Experience (3 credit hours)
Methods of Teaching Courses (15 credit hours)
Students choosing the Non-teaching Physical Education Track are required to take an additional 12 credits of the following courses: