The Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation offers three undergraduate minors in Physical Education. The 1) Physical Education Non-teaching Minor is designed to prepare students to work in a physical activity venue. A major must also be selected. The 2) Physical Education Minor is designed to prepare students to teach physical education in a K-12 school system. The 3) Physical Education/Coaching Education Teaching Dual Minor is designed to prepare students to teach physical education and to coach in a K-12 school system. A teaching major is to be selected in addition to either of the teaching minors to prepare students to enter the Teacher Education program and to become licensed to teach in a K-12 school system.
Physical Education Non-teaching Minor students must meet all requirements listed below.
Physical Education Minor and Physical Education/Coaching Education Dual Teaching Minor students must meet all requirements for the Physical Education Minor or the Physical Education/Coaching Education Teaching Dual Teaching Minor and those requirements needed for Teacher Licensure (27).
- Grade Requirements: A combined GPA of 3.0 is required for all courses used toward the minor. No grade lower than a “C” is acceptable.
- Credit Hour Requirements: Physical Education Non-teaching Minor - a total of 29-30 credit hours are required. Physical Education/Coaching Education Dual Teaching Minor - a total of 46-47 credit hours are required. Physical Education Minor - a total of 27 credit hours are required. In addition to the required credit hours, Physical Education/Coaching Education Dual Teaching Minor and Physical Education Minor students must meet the requirements of their selected teaching major and the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements.
A General Education course required for all Physical Education minors is:
NUTR LS 1020 Science and Application of Human Nutrition (3)
HTHS LS 1110 BioMed Core (4)
See major and minor course prerequisites for additional General Education recommendation/requirements. Also see Teacher Education Requirements for recommended and required General Education courses for Physical Education/Coaching Education Dual Teaching Minors and Physical Education Track Minors.
Students must apply for Physical Education program admittance by November 10 or March 10 of their first semester of taking Physical Education Professional [PEP] courses. Applications are available from the Physical Education Program Director. In addition, students applying for the Teaching Track must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog). In addition, students applying for the Physical Education Specialization grades 1-8 must also meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements. Students will not be allowed to register for PEP 3520 , PEP 3520L , PEP 3630 , PEP 3660 , PEP 4700 , PEP 4830 , PEP 4860C , or PEP 4990 until admission requirements have been met.
Admission requirements include:
- Declared major or minor or BIS in a Physical Education or Coaching Education program.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Students may transfer a maximum of 12 physical education professional course credits from another institution per the Physical Education Program Director approval.
- Fingerprinting/background check must be cleared prior to admission to the program. Provisional admission is granted for one semester only until the check is completed.
Program Retention Requirements
After admission into the Physical Education major/minor programs, students will be retained based on the following:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Earned grade of “C” or above for each required course.
- Clear fingerprinting/background check.
- Retention/improvement of sport specific and fitness skills.
- Student Disposition score above 20 in each course.