Dec 02, 2020
The Department of Athletic Training (AT) offers an undergraduate program in Athletic Therapy. This program is designed for students preparing to enter professional graduate programs in athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician’s assistant programs, and/or medicine. Students who graduate from this major only will NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO SIT FOR THE BOARD OF CERTIFICATION (BOC) EXAM TO BECOME A CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER OR ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATION EXAM.
- Program Prerequisites: Make application and be accepted to Weber State University. Formally declare Athletic Therapy as an intended major with the College of Health Professions (CHP) advisement coordinator. (See Admission Requirements below.)
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirements: Grade of “B-” or better in all Athletic Therapy major courses and grade of “C” or better in all support courses and electives in addition to a Weber State University GPA of 3.00 or higher in all courses required for this major.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; 40 of which must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above).
- Program Code: 2058BS
- CIPC: 511199
The Athletic Therapy Program Director serves as the faculty advisor to Athletic Therapy majors. The CHP advisors will serve as the academic advisors prior to admission to the program, and the Athletic Therapy Program Director will assist with advisement after admission into the program. Advisors are available to the student for counseling on grades and progress toward graduation. Athletic Therapy majors are encouraged to meet with an advisor at least once within the first four weeks of each semester.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
- Before a student can be considered for the Athletic Therapy program, the following application requirements must be met:
- Admission to Weber State University.
- Submit an Athletic Therapy Student Application which demonstrates the following:
- Completion of 25 credit hours with a minimum 3.00 Weber State University GPA. Of these 25 credits, the students must demonstrate completion of
- HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 or ZOOL 2100 and ZOOL 2200
- NUTR 1020 LS SUS
- PSY 1010 SS
- AT 1550 and AT 3300
- Grade “B-” or better in all Athletic Therapy major courses and “C” or better in support courses and electives.
- Applications may be obtained from the Athletic Therapy Program website at http://www.weber.edu/athletictherapy/Admissions.html.
- Students are accepted on a rolling basis, but they are encouraged to submit their application by the fourth week of the semester after the admission requirements have been completed and met.Students who fail to meet admission requirements will not be allowed to enroll in AT 4150 , AT 4250 , AT 4650 , or AT 4800 .
- After students are selected into the Athletic Therapy Major, retention in the program will be based on the following criteria:
- Grade “B-” or better in all athletic therapy major courses.
- Grade “C” or better in all the support courses and electives.
- Students must maintain a Weber State University GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Students who fail to meet the retention criteria will be placed on probation in the Athletic Therapy major for one semester. If standards are not met by the end of the probationary period, the student may be dismissed from the major at the discretion of the program director.
- Students who receive any grade below a “B-” in an athletic therapy major course must repeat that course and receive a grade of “B-” or higher to remain in the major.
- Students who receive any grade below a “C” in an athletic therapy support course or elective must repeat that course and receive a grade of “C” or higher to remain in the major.
- Failure to repeat the course (when offered) will result in dismissal from the program at the discretion of the program director.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements.
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree (63 credit hours)
Athletic Therapy Courses (22 credit hours)
Support Courses (28 credit hours)
Program Electives (must complete at least 13 credits of electives)
* These courses also fulfill General Education or degree requirements.
** Some students will be required to complete an FBI background check and drug test prior to completing the work experience. The expenses, approximately $75, will be paid for by the student. Some students may also be required to secure additional immunizations, including a hepatitis B vaccination, depending on the cooperative work experience site. The expenses, approximately $40-100, will be paid for by the students.
*** Students may also take HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 instead of ZOOL 2100 and ZOOL 2200 . However, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 will be accepted as prerequisite courses for their graduate program of choice.
Other Pre-Professional Courses
Athletic Therapy students also generally take the coursework needed for their professional graduate program (athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician’s assistant, and/or medicine). These courses typically include CHEM 1110 and CHEM 1120 , PHYS 2010 and PHYS 2020 , and MATH 1060 (Trigonometry). The prerequisites vary somewhat from one graduate program to another and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all pre-professional courses fulfill entrance requirements.