Jun 04, 2020
- Program Prerequisite: Provisional admission to a Teacher Education Program (see the admission requirements described under the Teacher Education Department ).
- Specialization: Required (9 or more credit hours). Students may choose any academic teaching minor (refer to department listings for specific requirements). Or, choose a specialization area (see below).
- Grade Requirements: A “B-” or higher is required for any upper division EDUC or MED course, in addition, Special Education majors must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in all college/university work.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for graduation. The following are required within the program: Support Courses 21; Specialization 9; Professional Education 12; Special Education 44. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses number 3000 and above).
- Program Code: 5007BS
- CIPC: 131001
Declare a program of study (see Program of Study (Major/Minor) Declaration ). Follow the provisional admission requirements outlined under the Teacher Education department. Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
All Special Education majors should meet with an advisor in the Teacher Education Advisement Center and with an assigned advisor from the Special Education faculty. Call 801-626-6309 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
For Special Education majors, there are 4 areas of course work that are required: I. University and General Education Requirements; II. Support Courses; III. Area of Specialization; and, IV. Professional Courses. Details for each of these required areas follow.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
I. University and General Education Requirements
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements. The following courses required for the Special Education major will also satisfy general education requirements: COMM 1020 or COMM 2110 , MATH QL 2020 , and CHF SS/DV 1500 .
Students pursuing a BS degree must take 9 credit hours, at least one (1) course from a life science group and at least one (1) course from a physical science group. One of the courses must be GEO PS 1350 (Principles of Earth Science), CHEM 1360 PS /PHYS PS 1360 (Principles of Physical Science), or BTNY LS 1370 /MICR LS 1370 /ZOOL LS 1370 (Principles of Life Science), or at least one science lab course.
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
II. Support Courses Required (or equivalent) (21 credits)
And at least 6 credit hours from the following
III. Area of Specialization options (9 credits)
In addition, complete a 9-hour specialization in one of the areas listed below. For further information concerning the courses involved in the areas of specialization, see the Teacher Advisement Center, ED230.
- English as a Second Language
- Early Childhood
- Family Studies
- Language Arts (Secondary)
- International Education
IV. Courses Required for the Major (55 credits)
Level 1 - Foundation Education Courses (14 credits)
Level 2 - Inclusion Methods (16 credits)
Level 3 - Special Education Methods (14 credits)
Student Teaching in Special Education (12 credits)