Mar 02, 2024
This certificate will provide students with advanced training in Rhetoric and Writing Studies with an emphasis on the teaching of college-level composition.
- Grade Requirements: Students must receive a grade of B or better in every course.
- Credit Hour Requirements: The program of study consists of 12 credit hours. This includes 9 credit hours of required courses and a minimum of 3 credit hours of electives.
- Program Code: 3090GC
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Admission to the MENG program requires a bachelor’s degree in English. Students with less English preparation may petition for conditional admission which may require that they take additional classes at the 5000-level for full matriculation.
Applicants must complete an online application. Criteria for acceptance into the program include:
- Undergraduate degree in English with a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the major (preferred)
- Submission of writing sample (4-8 pages)
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
- Three letters of recommendation from educational or professional references
- Interview with the program director or option coordinator
Additional Requirements for International Students
All international students and any applicants educated outside the United States must demonstrate proficiency in English. Those whose native language is not English must submit an official score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based). Other appropriate tests may be used as an alternative to the TOEFL, such as IELT and the WSU LEAP Special Examination. The score may not be more than two years old.
Choose one (1) of the following courses.