Microbiology majors pursuing this emphasis should consult the appropriate advisor. The courses listed below are for the Bachelors of Science (BS) Degree in Microbiology with an emphasis in Medical Microbiology. The total number of credits required for the emphasis are the same as those required for the Microbiology degree, but are more specifically defined. An emphasis is not a major. Your major will be Microbiology with an emphasis in Medical Microbiology.
Students considering application to medical, dental, veterinary, physical therapy, optometry, and pharmacy schools should consult the beginning of the College of Science section of this catalog. Furthermore, they should meet with the advisors of these programs, each of whom is listed in that section. The Department of Microbiology offers lower and upper level courses that provide superb training for examinations such as the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), as well as medical school courses. Students should meet with the appropriate advisor for specific course suggestions. For information see https://www.weber.edu/premedicalprofessionalprograms
Medical schools do not accept AP or CELP credits in English, Math, or Science courses.
Students interested in Graduate School should discuss their plans with the major advisor.
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Not required. However, Microbiology majors will meet the requirements for a minor in Chemistry. If desired for another program, a Microbiology Minor is offered. Please see “Microbiology Minor” for requirements.
- Grade Requirements: An overall GPA of 2.00 or higher in Microbiology courses is required for this major in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher. Also refer to the General Grade Requirements for graduation.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 71 credits is required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above).
- Program Code: 6015BS and emphasis 6042 (Medical Microbiology)
- CIPC: 260502
All Microbiology students are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6949 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.) Please note, careful planning is essential as most courses have prerequisites and some upper division courses are only offered in one semester.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree.They can be found at https://apps.weber.edu/gradmaps
Declare your program of study with the Microbiology Department. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program. However, students should meet with an advisor to plan and declare their program of study.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements. The following courses are required for the Microbiology major and will also satisfy general education requirements: MICR 2054 LS - Principles of Microbiology , CHEM 1210 PS - Principles of Chemistry I , PHYS 1010 PS - Elementary Physics or PHYS 2010 PS - College Physics I .