May 19, 2019
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C-” or better in courses required for this major, and an overall GPA in the major of 2.00. Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 36 of these is required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); 27 of these are required within the major.
All Geography students are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6207 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements. One of the following courses is required for the Geography major or Geography Teaching major: GEOG 1000 , GEOG 1300 , or GEOG 1520 (these courses will also satisfy general education requirements).
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
Core Courses Required (12 credit hours)
(General Geography Emphasis – 24-25 credit hours)
Required Systematic Courses (12-13 credit hours)
Select 4 of the following, with at least 1 course from each group.
Electives (12 credit hours)
Select from Geography courses (either upper or lower division) twelve additional credit hours
(Regional Emphasis with Concentrations in Asian Studies, Ethnic Studies, European Studies, or Latin American Studies – 24 credit hours)
Required Regional Courses (6 credit hours)
Select two of the following
* Required for Ethnic Studies concentration
Asian Studies, Ethnic Studies, European Studies, or Latin American Studies Electives (18 credit hours)
From the Asian Studies Minor Program list of classes, or from the Ethnic Studies Emphasis Program list of classes, or from the European Studies Minor Program list of classes, or from Latin American Studies Minor Program list of classes select 18 credit hours from at least three different departments or disciplines. No regional courses from the preceding list may be counted twice.
(Regional Emphasis with Concentration in Global Studies – 24 credit hours)
Required Regional Courses (12 credit hours)
Select four of the following
Technique Courses (3 credit hours)
Select one of the following
Additional Upper Division Courses (9 credit hours)
Students must take 9 additional hours in geography. These may be environmental, cultural, regional, or technique courses. Support courses in related fields that emphasize global and regional studies are encouraged.
(Technical Emphasis – 24 credit hours)
Required Technical Courses (15 credit hours)
Technical Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
Select 9 hours of the following
(Environmental Studies Emphasis – 24 credit hours)
Required Geography Courses (4 credit hours)
Environmental Studies Electives (20 credit hours)
Select 20 credit hours from any of the courses listed below, with at least 9 credit hours chosen from at least three different programs.*
* Other environmental courses not listed here are acceptable with approval of advisor. This includes courses transferred in from other colleges or universities and any directed reading or individual research courses in any department where the topic deals primarily with the natural environment.
** Courses with prerequisites.