Dec 04, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: There is no minor required for students majoring in Communication, although a minor is an option for students who choose to concentrate in Journalism or Public Relations & Advertising. A student may not receive both a major and a minor from the Department of Communication.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable), in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher for all courses.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above). Between 27 and 35 of these are required within the major, depending on the selected concentration.
To enroll in upper division Communication courses, a student must be admitted as a major or hold upper division standing in the university.
Students must successfully complete at least 50 percent of their Communication course work at Weber State University in order to receive a major or a minor in Communication
Students are encouraged to meet with the appropriate department advisor depending on their selected interdisciplinary concentration. Refer to the Communication Department Web page for a current list of department advisors – weber.edu/communication.
Declare your program of study at the Communication department office, Elizabeth Hall 330. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program.
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science requirements. See specific requirements for the BA and BS under the major course requirements. The following courses, required for the Communication major, will also satisfy general education requirements: COMM 1020 , COMM 2010 , and COMM 2110 .
select one of the following:
- Civic Advocacy
- Electronic Media
- Interpersonal & Family Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Public Relations & Advertising
Major Course Requirements for BS or BA Degree
Students must successfully complete a series of foundation, core, depth and breadth courses.
Foundation Courses – Communication courses required for admission to the major.
Core Courses – Communication courses required of all Communication majors regardless of their chosen concentrations.
Depth Courses – required and elective Communication courses that are specified and vary based on the interdisciplinary concentration and area of specialization selected.
Breadth Courses – required and elective courses from non-Communication departments within the University that are specified and vary based on the interdisciplinary concentration and area of specialization selected.
Foundation Courses for all Majors (9 credit hours)
Core Courses for all Majors (15 credit hours)
Courses Required to fulfill the BA (12 credit hours)
Complete either Option 1 or Option 2
Option 1 - Foreign Language
- Select 4 courses (12 credit hours) in a foreign language
Option 2 - Foreign Language with Language Arts
Select two courses (6 credit hours) from the following plus two courses (6 credit hours) in a foreign language
Interpersonal & Family Communication Interdisciplinary Concentration (45 credit hours)
The Interpersonal and Family Communication Interdisciplinary concentration is designed to help students understand, explain and improve friendship, marriage, family and other meaningful long and short-term interpersonal relationships. Communication is the central enabling feature or framework through which we all function, create and share meaning, sustain identities and negotiate our relationships with each other and the rest of the world. This program of study will teach students to understand the complex, dynamic relationships.
Depth Courses (21 credit hours)
Breadth Courses (24 credit hours)
See department advisor for an approved list of additional non-Communication Department elective breadth courses (15 credit hours)