Dec 08, 2022
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A 2.0 or better in all courses required for this major in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 (C) or higher.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 39 of these must be valid English courses. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); a minimum of 27 of these must be English courses.
- Program Code: 3022BA
- CIPC: 230101
English majors are required to meet with a faculty advisor at least twice annually for course and program advisement. If this requirement is not met, students may not be allowed to register for classes within their major. Call 801-626-6251 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study at the English department office, Elizabeth Hall 413. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Consult with a departmental advisor for detailed general education guidelines.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Read, explicate & analyze texts within their cultural, historical, & critical contexts.
- Research using a variety of methods & sources & document sources.
- Apply relevant critical theories.
- Write effectively about texts for varied purposes & audiences.
- Demonstrate knowledge of writers, works, genres & periods.
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
A minimum of 39 credit hours is required in English courses, of which at least 27 credit hours must be upper division (3000-4000 level courses). A Minor is also required.
Required English Courses (30 credit hours)
Foundation - 6 credit hours
Areas of Specialization - 18 credit hours
Choose two courses each (6 credit hours) from three of the four areas listed below:
Area 1: American and British Literatures and Language
Prerequisites as specified for individual courses in course catalog:
Area 2: World Literatures and Language
Courses in this area will focus on world literatures excluding British and American literature / Prerequisites as specified for individual courses in course catalog:
Area 3: Cultural and Media Studies
Courses in this area will focus on topics related to the study of culture and media / Prerequisites as specified for individual courses in course catalog:
Area 4: Writing and Interdisciplinary Studies
Courses in this area will focus on writing and/or the study of other disciplines as they connect with literature, language, or the craft of writing / Prerequisites as specified for individual courses in course catalog:
Electives - 6 credit hours minimum
To complete the required 39 credit hours, majors in the English BA program may choose as electives any 3000 and 4000 level English courses, including those listed above, but excluding those they wish to count as language arts courses in partial fulfillment of the Bachelor of Arts requirement (see “Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA” below). / Prerequisites as specified for individual courses in course catalog.
Language Courses Required to Fulfill the BA
English majors must take either 12-credit hours of a foreign language or 6 hours of a foreign language and 6 hours of language arts. Any 3000 or 4000 level English class may be used as a language arts course, but one course (3 credits) with a primary emphasis on language or writing is strongly recommended. Courses chosen for the BA language requirement cannot also be counted toward the English major.