Sep 22, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Completion of first and second-year courses in German or equivalent preparation.
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses used for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable). Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation .
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation – 40 hours of these must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above). For the major, a minimum of 30.5 upper division hours is required beyond the prerequisite lower division courses (prerequisite courses, if needed, total 12 credit hours). At least 6 credit hours of major courses must be completed at WSU.
- Program Code: 3088BA
- CIPC: 160501
German majors are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6183 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). There are no special admission or application requirements for this major.
Refer to Degree Requirements of this catalog for Bachelor of Arts requirements. FL 2020 will fulfill the 3 credit hours for the Humanities General Education requirement. A student who completes an upper-division German course with a “C” or better will also meet this requirement. Credit for Humanities General Education (HU2020) cannot be obtained through examination. The prerequisite courses listed under the major requirements will also fulfill the BA Language requirement.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate speaking and listening proficiency in the language they are studying.
- Demonstrate writing ability, including a command of grammar and appropriate usage to express their ideas.
- Demonstrate the ability to write in different styles.
- Write an analysis or a literary or cultural work in the language.
- Describe and explain aspects of the culture(s) of the language being studied.
During their senior year, all German majors will complete FL 4990 in order to help the department assess how well it has met its goals. Students are encouraged to keep copies of their best work from each course taken in the major. These samples will be used in FL 4990 .
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
Complete the following 12 credit hours (or demonstrate equivalent proficiency)
Required Courses (12.5 credit hours)
Select 3 credit hours from the following
Select a minimum of 15 credit hours.
To complete the required 30.5 credit hours, majors in the German, Commercial Emphasis, BA program may choose as electives any 3000 and 4000 level German courses, including those listed above. Prerequisites may be specified for individual courses in the course catalog.
*FL 3320 (Applied Language Studies variable title course) when taken as Language & Culture of Europe will only count towards a German major if course assignments are completed in German. Speak with the instructor before registering for this class.