Nov 26, 2022
- Program Prerequisite: Completion of first and second-year courses in Spanish or equivalent preparation. In addition, teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ).
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses used for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable).
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 hours is required for graduation; 40 hours of these must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above). For the major, a minimum of 35.5 upper division hours is required beyond the prerequisite lower division courses (prerequisite courses, if needed, total 12 credit hours). At least 6 credit hours of major courses must be completed at WSU.
- Program Code: 3031BA
- CIPC: 131330
Spanish Teaching majors are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6183 for more information or to schedule an appointment. Teaching majors are also encouraged to consult with advisors in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education (call 801-626-6269).
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ).
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. SPAN 2020 will fulfill the 3 credit hours for the Humanities General Education requirement. A student who completes an upper-division Spanish course with a “C” or better will also meet this requirement. Credit for Humanities General Education (HU2020) cannot be obtained through examination. The prerequisite courses listed under the major requirements will also fulfill the BA Language requirement.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate speaking and listening proficiency in the language they are studying.
- Demonstrate writing ability, including a command of grammar and appropriate usage to express their ideas.
- Demonstrate the ability to write in different styles.
- Write an analysis or a literary or cultural work in the language.
- Describe and explain aspects of the culture(s) of the language being studied.
During their senior year, all Spanish Teaching majors will complete FL 4990 in order to help the department assess how well it has met its goals. Students are encouraged to keep copies of their best work from each course taken in the major. These samples will be used in FL 4990 .
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
Complete the following 12 credit hours (or demonstrate equivalent proficiency)
Required Courses (11.5 credit hours)
Literature Requirement (3 credit hours)
To complete the required 35.5 credit hours, majors in the Spanish Teaching BA program may choose as electives any 3000 and 4000 level Spanish courses, including those listed above. Prerequisites may be specified for individual courses in the course catalog.
*Students must take an ACTFL Oral Proficiency Examination prior to taking FL 4400 and student teaching. The department standard for Proficiency is the Advanced-Low level. Students must also complete the Praxis II Content Knowledge Exam in their language prior to student teaching. (Please see the foreign language advisor.)