Aug 09, 2022
Bachelor of Integrated Studies
- Grade Requirements: A minimum grade of “C” (2.0) in each of the courses taken for the three emphases.
- Credit Hour Requirements: The student must take a minimum of 18 credit hours each from at least three (3) different academic departments or recognized disciplines. A student has numerous possibilities in developing a BIS degree using the academic disciplines both in HPER and campus wide.
The course of study in each discipline must be approved by the appropriate program director.
BIS Possible Options
These are only recommendations; many combinations and options for potential careers are possible.
Health Education & Health Promotion Emphasis
Program Code: 5013
Community Health Promotion
Occupational Health Education
Clinical Health Education (See Department of Health Administrative Services in the Dr. Ezekiel R. Dumke College of Health Professions)
Family Life Health Promotion
Gerontological Health Promotion
Drug Abuse Prevention Education
Exercise Science Emphasis
Program Code: 5019
Also refer to individual minor programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Interdisciplinary Work-Made multiple connections across three academic disciplines.
- High Impact Educational Experience-Engaged in high impact practices through at least one of these: (a) collaborative learning projects, (b) undergraduate research, (c) public performances, (d)diversity/global learning, (e) community engaged learning, (f) internships, or (g) intensive writing.
- Capstone Signature Work -Synthesized and reported key research/skills/theories from academic disciplines.
- Analysis and Reflection-Provided analyses/results/conclusions/reflections from the Capstone experience.
- Academic speaking and writing-Used effective oral and written English-language skills
- Post-Graduate Planning-Planned for careers and/or graduate programs.
Health Promotion Emphasis
21 Credit Hours Total Required
Required Courses (13 credits)
Elective Courses (8-9 credits)
OL = Online option available some semesters
IS = Independent Study option available some semesters
*If this pre-requisite course is used to fulfill the Social Science General Education requirement, the three credit hours cannot be counted in the BIS Health Promotion emphasis 21 credit hour requirements.
**This course can be taken after completing the HLTH 1030 pre-requisite.
***This course can be taken after completing the HLTH 1030 and HLTH 3000 pre-requisite.