Feb 07, 2023
Dance Education Major K-12
The objective of this program is to help guide and prepare students for teaching dance in public school settings (grades K-12), private studios and non-profit organizations.
- Program Prerequisites: Students must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable) and an overall GPA of at least 2.75.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 56 of these are within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above).
- Program Code: 3058BA or 3058BS
- CIPC: 131324
Based within the disciplinary core of the Dance program, the BA and BS Dance Education K-12 degree offerings help to guide and prepare students for teaching dance in public school settings (grades K-12), private studios, and/or non-profit environments. In addition to the core dance requirements, secondary licensure requirements are mandatory for all teaching degrees leading to eligibility for Utah State Board of Education licensure. It is comprised of 33 hours of coursework within the Department of Teacher Education.
Students must consult with the Dance Program advisor at least once each term. Email Joseph Blake firstname.lastname@example.org or Erik Stern email@example.com for more information or to schedule an appointment. Students seeking secondary certification are encouraged to consult with advisors in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education (call 801-626-6269). (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study. Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
Refer to General Requirements of this catalog for Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts requirements. See also specific requirements for the BS or BA listed under the major course requirements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Technique/Performance - Students will apply dance technique and kinesiology principles to improve as dancers and performers.
- Theory/Criticism - Students will apply and communicate principles of dance theory and criticism in many settings.
- Creative Process - Students will engage in the evolving nature of the creative process in many settings.
- Meaning/Self-discovery - Students will discover, express and gain ownership of their own point of view about dance, to speak the language of dance
Course Requirements for BS or BA Degree in Dance Education
Courses Required (57 credit hours)
Ballet and Modern Dance (minimum of 13 credit hours)
Note: majors must complete a minimum of 6.5 credits hours of Ballet and 6.5 credits hours of Modern, and receive a C+ or better in Ballet III and Modern III to qualify for graduation. Courses will be repeated to achieve full credit.
Other Dance Forms (3 credit hours)
Creative Process and Performance (11 credit hours)
To be taken in order beginning spring of freshman year.
Corporeal Studies (13 credit hours)
Teaching Methods (10 credit hours)
Dance Design, Production, and Technology (7 credit hours)
Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA in Dance Education
Refer to Degree Requirements in this catalog. Dance majors must complete Option 1 - Foreign Language (12 credit hours of a foreign language, refer to the Foreign Language section of this catalog for additional information on obtaining foreign language credit) OR Option 2 - Foreign Language and Language Arts (6 credit hours of a foreign language and 6 hours of language arts)–the required language arts course is: DANC 4800 - Individual Study Credits: (3) taken 2 times for a total of (6) credit hours.