Sep 25, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Successful completion of an Associate of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene, National Board Examination and a Regional or State Practical Exam. Maintenance of a current dental hygiene license
- Minor: Not Required.
- Grade Requirements: All courses required for the major must be successfully completed with a grade of “C” or better (a “C-” grade is not acceptable).
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; 88 of these are taken for the AS degree and an additional 7 must be taken to complete the BS in Dental Hygiene degree. A prerequisite to the Baccalaureate Thesis course is an upper division Research and Statistics course (numbered 3000 or above, minimum of 3 cr hrs). Thirteen more upper division hours are selected by the student from a menu of elective courses. Transcripts of transfer students will be evaluated on an individual basis. Transfer students must also complete the residency requirement (30 credit hours of WSU course work).
- Program Code: 2002BS
- CIPC: 510602
Bachelor of Science Dental Hygiene majors must complete a contract with the Dental Hygiene Department Chair. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
An Advanced Dental Hygiene major application and a program of study contract must be completed with the Dental Hygiene Department Chair prior to beginning any of the advanced courses.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements. Any general education requirements not taken as part of the Associate of Science program must be completed in order to graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- The necessary biophysical, psychosocial and dental hygiene knowledge requisite for a comprehensive understanding of dental hygiene practice
- The technical skills, both fundamental and advanced, essential to the practice of dental hygiene
- The reasoning and judgment skills necessary to engage in problem-solving behavior
- The theoretical bases, research and communication skills necessary for the acquisition, advancement and dissemination of dental hygiene knowledge
- The leadership and initiative capabilities essential for assuming roles of responsibility within the dental hygiene profession and society
- The moral habitude requisite for the effective performance of responsibilities within dental hygiene practice and within society
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
To be taken in addition to the courses required for an Dental Hygiene (AS) .
Dental Science Courses Required (7 credit hours) **
* A prerequisite to the Baccalaureate Thesis course is an upper division Research and Statistics course (numbered 3000 or above, minimum of 3 cr hrs).
** Each student must also select upper division course work bring the total of upper division hours to 40 credit hours.