Program Prerequisite: Completion of first and second-year courses in Spanish or equivalent preparation.
Minor: Not Required.
Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses used for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable). Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation .
Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; 40 of these must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above). For the major, a minimum of 52.5 upper division courses is required beyond the prerequisite lower division courses (prerequisite courses, if needed, total 12 credit hours). At least 6 credit hours of major courses must be completed at WSU.
- Program Code: 3077BA
- CIPC: 160103
Spanish Translation majors are encouraged to meet with Spanish faculty advisors and/or Academic Advisors for the College of Arts & Humanities at least annually for course and program advisement.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
All students pursuing the Bachelor of Arts in Spanish Translation must follow the same application process for admittance to WSU. In addition, before students may declare the Spanish Translation major they will demonstrate at least Intermediate-Low proficiency in Spanish (following the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines) by submitting:
- a recording of an autobiographical statement in the candidate’s non-native language (5 minutes).
- an essay (in English or Spanish) on why the candidate wants to pursue a BA in Spanish Translation (250 words) to assess the candidate’s formal language use.
- a translation of the essay.
Outstanding bilingual students in Concurrent Enrollment, in the DLI Bridge Courses or in our prerequisite Spanish sequence will be identified and encouraged to submit documents 1, 2 and 3, before they take upper-division Spanish courses.
Refer to Bachelor of Arts requirements. SPAN HU2020 will fulfill the 3 credit hours for the Humanities General Education requirement. A student who completes an upper-division Spanish course with a “C” or better will also meet this requirement. Credit for Humanities General Education (HU2020) cannot be obtained through examination. The prerequisite courses listed under the major requirements will also fulfill the BA Language requirement.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate speaking and listening proficiency in the language they are studying.
- Demonstrate writing ability, including a command of grammar and appropriate usage to express their ideas.
- Demonstrate the ability to write in different styles.
- Write an analysis or a literary or cultural work in the language.
- Describe and explain aspects of the culture(s) of the language being studied.
During their senior year, all Spanish Translation majors will complete FL 4990 in order to help the department assess how well it has met its goals. Students are encouraged to keep copies of their best work from each course taken in the major. These samples will be used in FL 4990.