The Master of Education with an emphasis in Educational Leadership is designed for candidates seeking administrative positions in P-12 schools and is focused on the Utah Educational Leadership Standards. After completion of an intensive administrative internship, candidates will be eligible to be recommended to the Utah State Board of Education for an administrative/supervisory license.
- Program Code: 5056MED with Emphasis in 5058 (Educational Leadership)
- CIPC: 131202
The MEd program is selective with a limited number of openings available for qualified students. Admission deadlines is January 15 for Fall semester. For additional information contact the Master of Education office, (801) 626-6278.
The following items are required:
- Admission to Weber State University and application for the MEd Program.
- Payment of the MEd program application fee.
- Verification of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Recommendation forms (3).
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 either cumulative or on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of approved undergraduate/graduate course work.
Minimum GPA of 3.00 to 3.24 on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) and a minimum score of either 400 on the Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) or 152 on the Verbal Reasoning and 145 on the Quantitative Reasoning portions of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Students with GPAs below 3.00 will not be considered for the program.
- Writing proficiency assessment with a minimum score of 4 out of 6.
- Interview with Master of Education faculty members (with a score of 4 out of 6).
Additional Requirements for Educational Leadership Emphasis
In addition to the above, those seeking admission to the Educational Leadership emphasis must also
- Clear a USOE fingerprint background check;
- Hold a Professional Educator License;
- Be deemed effective or higher by:
an evaluation system meeting the standards of R277-531; or
the LEA’s equivalent on the applicant’s most recent evaluation;
Have a recommendation from:
the individual’s immediate administrative supervisor; or
an LEA-level administrator with knowledge regarding the individual’s potential as an education leader.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Please seek advisement/assistance from WSU’s International Student and Scholar Center at 801-626-6853 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- TOEFL score of 223 (computer-based) or 85 (internet-based) or IELTS 6.5.
- Oral language proficiency assessment.
- Weber State University-accepted bachelor’s degree.
- Courses evaluated into the equivalent of American credits and letter grades.
- Contact WSU International Student Services Office and submission of a WSU International Student Application and a Graduate Financial Guarantee form.
- If the overall GPA is lower than 3.25 but better than a 3.0, or if the evaluated transcript cannot be calculated for the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of course work, the Graduate Record Examination must be taken with a minimum score of 145 on the Quantitative Reasoning, 152 on the Verbal Reasoning, and 4 on the Analytical Writing portions. Students with GPAs below 3.00 will not be considered for the program. All degree requirements must be completed within a six-year timeline based on the first semester of coursework.
GPA Requirements for all MEd Students
Following admission to the MEd program, students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. Students must earn at least a B- in all foundation classes. Coursework in which Ds, Es, or UWs are earned is unacceptable and could result in removal from the program if the problem persists.