Jan 30, 2023
An Associate of Arts with a Dance major will indicate that a student has completed all WSU AA degree requirements and the introductory classes required for the Bachelor of Arts in Dance. Students who have completed the AA degree may continue with intermediate and advanced coursework for the BA.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in all courses (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable).
- Program Code: 3045AA
- CIPC: 500301
Dance majors are encouraged to meet with an advisor at least annually for course and program advisement.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). There are no special admission or application requirements for this major.
- A minimum of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 25 hours in residency (WSU courses).
- At least a 2.0 (C) WSU grade point average (GPA).
- Completion of WSU general education requirements.
The Associate of Arts Degree must include a foreign language or ASL (American Sign Language) requirement which may be met by one of the following:
- Documentation of a proficiency level of “Novice High” or better through an examination administered by the WSU Foreign Language Department or through an examination by a recognized testing agency.
- Completion of WSU foreign language course 1020 with a grade of “C” or higher, or comparable transfer credit.
- Completion of any WSU foreign language course at a level beyond the first year with a grade of “C” or higher, or comparable transfer credit.
- Documentation of three years of the same language completed in high school with a minimum grade of “B”.
- Documentation of a minimum proficiency level in American Sign Language through an examination administered by the American Sign Language/Interpreting program at SLCC. The signer must “demonstrate proficiency in temporal aspect, spatial agreement and in describing things around her/him and the deaf culture.”
- Completion of ASL 1020 - Second Semester ASL with a grade of “C” or higher, or comparable transfer credit.
Refer to Degree Requirements of this catalog for Associate of Arts requirements.The following general education courses are required for the Dance (AA) Major: DANC 1010 CA/DV - Introduction to Dance (3) and NUTR 1020 LS SUS - Science and Application of Human Nutrition (3) .
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be introduced to dance technique and kinesiology principles in order to improve as dancers and performers
- Students will be introduced to the principles of dance theory and criticism in a variety of settings
- Students will begin to encounter the creative process in a variety of settings
- Students will begin to discover, express, and gain ownership of their own point of view about dance.
Dance Courses (19 credit hours)
Appropriate level technique courses in ballet and modern dance (initially to be determined by placement class) are required every semester of residence-4 courses in Ballet and 4 courses in Modern Dance (total of 10 credit hours).