Feb 23, 2024
- Coordinator: Dr. Susan Matt
- Location: Stewart Library, Room 326
- Telephone Contact: Beth Thompson 801-626-7713
- Website: weber.edu/bis
- Program Code: 1016BS with three concentration codes
- CIPC: 30.0000
The Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Sciences in Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) is an interdisciplinary degree program that serves the needs of students who want to create a specific academic program, obtain a broad liberal education, prepare for particular career goals, or go to graduate school. The program best suits students who have developed a sense of their educational and life goals, and who are looking for ways to express those values through an individualized university program.
To accomplish these general outcomes, BIS students complete course work in three different disciplines. As a culminating experience, students then synthesize the three areas in a capstone project. The BIS degree option is available to students in good standing at Weber State University with a GPA of 2.5 or above. Students must formally apply for admittance into the BIS program, and must take 15 credit hours in the program after they are accepted.
- BIS applicants must earn and maintain a 2.5 GPA to graduate with a Bachelors of Arts/Bachelors of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies degree.
- The institution requires that every bachelor’s degree candidate earn a total of 120 credit hours, 40 of which must be upper division hours.
- A BIS student can expect to take a minimum of 18 credit hours in each of three areas of emphasis, plus 1 hour for the Introduction to Interdisciplinary Studies and 5 hours for the capstone preparation and project, for a minimum of 60 credits in the BIS program.
- All contract and BIS courses must receive a minimum grade of “C” in order to count towards the BIS degree.
- Only graded classes can be included in the course contract (special exams, CLEP, or credit/no credit may not be included in the BIS contract).
- Courses which are used to satisfy General Education may not be used again in the BIS contract.
All prospective students must meet with the BIS Coordinator to plan a course of study, and be admitted into the program. Call 801-626-7713 to schedule an appointment. For more information, see the BIS Web page (weber.edu/bis).
Refer to Degree Requirements for BA and BS degree requirements. Honors students may elect to fulfill this requirement through the Honors general education option.
Course Requirements for BIS Degree
Contract of three areas of emphasis: (54 credit hours minimum)
Every BIS student will take a minimum of 18 credit hours in three different academic departments or institutionally recognized disciplines (two of which must offer upper division credit) as approved by the department and the BIS Coordinator. Any change in the course contract must be approved by the chair of the appropriate department and the BIS coordinator.
BIS Capstone and Graduation Preparation Class (3 credit hours)
This class will prepare students to successfully complete the BIS capstone thesis project, and to prepare themselves professionally for careers and graduate school. (Required prerequisite for capstone)
BIS Capstone Project: (3 credit hours)
The BIS capstone project gives students the opportunity to integrate their three areas of emphasis into a single thesis. (Required for graduation)
Elective - BIS Internship (1-3 credit hours)
The opportunity to earn 1 to 3 credits for an internship is available to students in the BIS program. Please contact the BIS coordinator for more information.
BIS Departmental Honors
Please see weber.edu/honors/contracts.html for a list of current Departmental Honors contracts and Departmental Honors Advisors. For additional information about the Honors Program, please refer to the Honors Program section of the WSU Catalog.