Dec 07, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Required. The Public History and Asian Studies minors also eligible with a History Major.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses applied toward this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable) in addition to a GPA for these courses of 2.50 or higher. Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation. .
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 37 of these is required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); 24 of these are required within the major.
- Program Code: 7007BA
- CIPC: 540101
History majors are required to meet with their faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. They must also meet with their advisor or the department chair before registration for HIST 4990 . Call 801-626-6706 for additional information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). There are no special admission or application requirements for the History major.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Historical Knowledge
- Pastness of Past
- International Perspectives
- Historical Complexity
- Critical Thinking
- Research Skills
- Historical Argumentation
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
History Core Courses Required (13 credit hours)
All the above should be taken before upper-division course work (courses numbered 3000 and above).
Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA (12 credit hours)
6 credit hours of foreign language
and the following language arts courses
Upper Division Elective Courses (18 credit hours)
Select at least one course in each area.
Global, Comparative, and General
May be taken to meet credit hour requirements.