Automotive Service Technology studies the diagnosis, service, and repair of passenger vehicles and light trucks. In addition to specific technical training, supporting courses foster the interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills needed to advance in the automotive service industry.
- Grade Requirements: Minimum grade of “C ” in courses required for this major in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 68 credit hours are required.
- Assessment Requirements: Students will be required to complete certain assessment instruments as part of the overall requirements for receiving their associate’s degree. Please see the program advisor for specific information regarding the assessment.
- Program Code: 8097AAS with one of the following cohorts: (ATEPS or ATEPF for Independent Shop ATEP) or HDTRUCK (Heavy Duty Truck)
- CIPC: 470600
Advisor: Jessica Slater; Schedule an Appointment
Automotive students should meet each semester with the program advisor.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Submit the online application to the program along with a copy of the applicants driving record. Submitting an application does not guarantee admission to the program. The advisor will contact the student if they qualify for admittance into the program.
- A minimum of 63 credit hours.
- A minimum of 20 hours in residency (WSU courses).
- At least a 2.0 (C) WSU grade point average (GPA).
- General education requirements
- ENGL 1010 or ENGL 2010 and one other course in oral or written communication (6 credit hours);
- Math (3 credit hours);
- Creative Arts & Humanities (CA or HU) (3 credit hours);
- Social Sciences (SS) (3 credit hours)
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the proper use of safety equipment when performing any type of vehicle repair
- Students will locate and utilize vehicle electronic service information for all repair procedures
- Students will explain the theory of operation of vehicle systems and components
- Students will demonstrate the proper use of special service tools and hand tools when performing any type of vehicle repair
- Students will apply a proper diagnostic approach when analyzing a vehicle system fault
- Students will apply a proper repair procedure when repairing a vehicle fault
- Students will demonstrate a proper repair verification procedure when a vehicle has been prepared