Dec 03, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A 2.0 or better in all courses required for this major in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 (C) or higher.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 39 of these must be English courses. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 or above); a minimum of 36 must be English courses.
- Program Code: 3024BA
- CIPC: 231303
English majors are required to meet with a faculty advisor at least twice annually for course and program advisement. If this requirement is not met, students may not be allowed to register for classes within their major. Call 801-626-6251 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study at the English department office, Elizabeth Hall 413. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Consult with a departmental advisor for detailed general education guidelines.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students should apply theories of technical communication in a variety of genres demonstrating theoretical and practical foundation of the Professional and Technical Writing minor and emphasis.
- Students should write a variety of documents that reflect application of sophisticated levels of cognition in addition to mastering basic concepts in the discipline.
- Students should perform substantive editing in both hard copy and electronic copy. Students should demonstrate a rhetorical approach to document design by thoroughly analyzing situational audience, purpose, and context.
- Students should construct documentation projects using single-sourcing and modular-writing principles.
- Students should develop a portfolio of their best work containing a variety of documents created throughout the entire program; the portfolio may be in hardcopy, online, or a combination of media.
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
A minimum of 39 credit hours is required in English courses, of which at least 36 credit hours must be upper division (3000-4000 level courses). A minor is also required.
Required English Courses (39 credit hours)
Foundation - 6 credit hours
3 credit hours
Critical Approaches Course (to be taken early in the major) / Prerequisite ENGL 2010 or ENGL 2015 :
Core - 6 credit hours
Choose two courses from the following areas.
Foundations in Professional and Technical Writing - 27 credit hours
Foundations in Professional and Technical Writing - 12 credit hours
Electives in Professional and Technical Writing - 15 credit hours
Language Courses Required to Fulfill the BA
English majors must take either 12-credit hours of a foreign language or 6 hours of a foreign language and 6 hours of language arts. Any 3000 or 4000 level English class may be used as a language arts course, but one course (3 credits) with a primary emphasis on language or writing is strongly recommended. Courses chosen as electives cannot also count as language arts courses.