Dec 06, 2023
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major, and an overall GPA in the major of 2.00. Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 39 of these is required for the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); 21 of these are required within the geography major.
- Program Code: 7031BA with one of the following cohort codes for tracks: GEOG_TEACH (General Geography), GEOG_EARTH (Earth Systems and Features), GEOG_CLIMS (Climate Science), GEOG_GLOBL (Global Studies, Development, and Diversity), GEOG_ENVIR (Environment and Sustainability), GEOG_PLANN (Sustainable Urban and Regional Planning), GEOG_GEOSP (Geospatial Technology)
- CIPC: 450701
All Geography students are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6207 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information). No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. Two of the following courses are required for the Geography major or Geography Teaching major: GEOG 1000 , GEOG 1300 , GEOG 1500 or GEOG 1520 (these courses will also satisfy general education requirements).
Program Learning Outcomes
- To provide students with knowledge about the earth’s natural environment and its relationship to society.
- To provide students with knowledge about the world’s peoples, nations, cultural environments, and spatial organization.
- To provide students with a good grounding in the modern technical skills of the discipline, including computer cartography, spatial analysis, spatially-oriented quantitative methods and techniques, and geographic information systems.
- To provide (some) students with training emphasizing the understanding of the planning profession and issues related to that field.
- To instill within each student an appreciation for the great variety of cultural forms and ways of thinking throughout the world, and to help students formulate a world view that uses this appreciation to become responsible citizens in America.
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
The Geography BA requires 39 credit hours.
Required Geography Courses (18 credit hours)
All Geography majors take these 18 core required hours. Select an additional 18 hours from one of seven tracks listsed listed below. Among those 18 hours, students are encouraged to select a course with a SUS designation and one with a CEL designation.
Required Language Arts Courses (12 credit hours)
Students make take any combination of Foreign Language or Language Arts Courses to reach 12 credit hours. At least half of these must be upper division.
Required Regional Courses (3-9 credit hours)
Select at least 1 of the following.
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Select any 2 upper division geography courses.