Oct 19, 2020
- Program Prerequisite: Not required. However, History Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
- Minor: Required. Does not need to be in the teaching field. Asian Studies minor eligible with History Teaching major.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses applied toward this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable). Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation on Degree and General Education Requirements .
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 36 of these is required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); 24 of these are required within the major.
- Program Code: 7008BA
- CIPC: 131328
History Teaching majors are required to meet with their faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. They must also meet with their advisor or the department chair before registration for HIST 4990 . Call 801-626-6706 for additional information or to schedule an appointment. Teaching majors are also encouraged to consult with advisors in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education (call 801-626-6269).
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). There are no special admission or application requirements for the History Teaching major. However, Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ). (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Major Course Requirements for BA Degree
History Core Courses Required (12 credit hours)
All the above should be taken before upper-division course work (courses numbered 3000 and above).
In addition, please note that HIST 4500 is required for completion of the Secondary Education Licensure program.
Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA (12 credit hours)
- 6 credit hours of foreign language
and the following language arts courses
Upper Division Elective Courses (18 credit hours)
Select at least one course in each area.
History Teaching majors must select either HIST 4110 , HIST 4120 or HIST 4130 as part of their 18 credit hours.
Global, Comparative, and General
May be taken to meet credit hour requirements.
History Teaching majors are encouraged to also take POLS 1100 AI , American National Government (3).