Dec 09, 2019
All Mathematics Majors
- Program Prerequisite: Not required for Mathematics and Applied Mathematics majors. Mathematics Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ).
- Minor: Required only for the regular mathematics major.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable), in addition to an overall 2.0 GPA and a 2.0 GPA in mathematics classes numbered 1210 or above.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours are required for graduation; 31-46 of these are required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); at least nine credit hours of upper division Mathematics must be completed at Weber State University.
- Program Code: Mathematics (6029BA or 6029BS), Mathematics Teaching (6030BA or 6030BS), Applied Mathematics (6031BA or 6031BS) with Regular Track (6022), Computing Track (6023), Physical Mathematics Track (6024), Engineering Mathematics Track (6025), Actuarial/Financial Mathematics Track (6026), Natural/Life Sciences Track (6028)
- CIPC: Mathematics (270101), Applied Mathematics (270301), Mathematics Teaching (131311)
All Mathematics majors should see the Mathematics Department to be assigned an advisor. They should meet with their advisors at least once a year to help plan their programs and check on their progress. Call 801-626-6095 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Declare your program of study (see Program of Study (Major/Minor) Declaration ) with your advisor. There are no special admission or application requirements for the Regular or Applied mathematics emphases. Mathematics Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ).
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for either Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts requirements. PHYS 2210 will fulfill requirements for both the major and general education. PSY 1010 (3) in the Social Sciences area is recommended for the Mathematics Teaching emphasis.
Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA (14 credit hours)
- 6 credit hour of foreign language
and the following language arts courses
Major Course Requirements for Mathematics BS or BA Degree
Mathematics Courses Required (30 credit hours)
Mathematics Electives (at least 12 credit hours)
Complete any upper division Mathematics courses (not including any required courses) so that required mathematics courses and mathematics electives total at least 42 credit hours.
A minor is required.
Support Courses Required (10 credit hours)
Graduate School Preparation
It is highly recommended that students planning on graduate work in Mathematics take Linear Algebra (MATH 3270 ) and Topology (MATH 4320 ) in addition to the above. See the Mathematics Department for counseling.