Dec 02, 2021
2015-2016 Catalog ARCHIVED CATALOG: Content may no longer be accurate.
Secondary Education Licensure
- Program Prerequisite: Provisional admission to a Teacher Education Program (see the admission requirements described under the Teacher Education Department ). Select an academic teaching major and teaching minor or composite teaching major and teaching minor that WSU offers. In many departments the teaching major and minor are different from the departmental major and minor.
- Minor: A teaching minor is recommended and may be required with most teaching majors (please consult your content major advisor). A teaching minor is generally not required with a composite teaching major (refer to specific composite major program requirements).
- Grade Requirements: Secondary Education students must meet minimum major course grade requirements and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in all college work and achieve at least a “B-” grade in each professional education course to continue in the program.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 semester hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 24 of these is required within the Secondary Licensure program. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses number 3000 and above).
The academic teaching major and teaching minor must consist of not less than 30 and 16 semester hours respectively, or a composite major of a minimum of 46 semester hours. The teaching major and teaching minor must be in subjects taught in Utah public secondary schools. Either the major or minor must be a subject which Utah secondary schools are required to teach (those marked with asterisks do not satisfy this second requirement – see the list of teaching majors and minors below).
Declare a program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). Follow the provisional admission requirements outlined under the Teacher Education Department .
All Secondary Education students should meet with an advisor in the Department of Teacher Education. Call 801-626-6309 for more information or to schedule an appointment. In addition, students should seek advisement from both their teaching major and their teaching minor program areas.
For Secondary Licensure candidates, there are 4 areas of course work that are required: I. University and General Education Requirements; II. Support Courses; III. Teaching Major and Teaching Minors (when required) that WSU offers; and IV. Professional Education Courses. Details for each of these required areas follow.
Course Requirements for Licensure
II. Support Courses Required (or equivalent)
One course from the following
One course from the following
III. Teaching Majors and Minors
Majors and Minors
* Subjects which Utah secondary schools are not required to teach
ESL (English as a Second Language)
Physical Education/Coaching Education Dual Teaching
Special Education (Mild/Moderate)
In lieu of the major and minor, a candidate may elect a composite teaching major which consists of a minimum of forty-six (46) hours of subjects in closely related fields.
||Art (minor required)
IV. Professional Education Courses Required (24 hours)
Secondary Teacher Education Core
Secondary Teacher Education Student Teaching
Provisional admission to teacher education is required prior to enrollment in 3000 level and above education classes.
HIST 4500 is a required course for the Social & Behavioral Science Teaching Major/Teaching Minor.
The Professional Education component of the Secondary Education program requires two semesters to complete. Therefore, it is very important that candidates have completed the General Education requirements and most of the major and minor requirements prior to entering the program. Because of possible scheduling difficulties, failure to do so could mean spending an extra semester (or more) in completing the program.