Nov 26, 2022
Health Administrative Services
- Program Prerequisite: Health Information Management Emphasis requires previous completion of AAS in Health Information Technology or equivalent. Health Services Administration, Long-Term Care Administration and Health Promotion emphases have a set of course prerequisites which are expected to be completed prior to declaration of cohort for those majors. See the list of prerequisites in the course requirements discussed for each emphasis below. An application for these programs is required upon completion of general education and pre-requisites. A cohort designation for the major will be made upon receipt and processing of the program application. Students will not be allowed to register for classes in the major without designation of this cohort.
All students admitted to the WSU Health Administrative Services AAS and BS program may be required to comply with a departmental background check and drug screen test prior to internship or other professional practice experience. If the background check reveals a history of convicted criminal actions, or the drug test results are positive for controlled substances, then the students may be dismissed form the program and will not be entitled to any refunds of tuition or other fees. Most Health Care employers have this same requirement as a condition of employment.
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirement: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for all emphases (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable), in addition to a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours are required for graduation. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above). Please see requirements under emphases as discussed below.
- Program Code: Health Service Administration (2004BS), Health Information Management (2006BS). Health Promotion HAS (2008BS), Long-Term Care (2005BS)
- CIPC: Health Service Administration (510701 ), Health Information Management (510706), Health Promotion (512207), Long-Term Care (510718)
Students are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor annually for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-7242 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study. In addition, the following steps are required:
- Schedule an appointment for academic advisement with a member of the Department of Health Administrative Services faculty.
- Make application to the program and the Dr. Ezekiel R. Dumke College of Health Professions.
- Overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
It is recommended that all general education courses be completed before applying to the HAS program. Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements. Some of the courses required by this program may also fulfill general education requirements. Check with a department advisor if you have questions.
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree
Health Promotion Emphasis
Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the examination for certification as a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) with a minimum of 25 semester hours in Health Courses.
Health courses are described in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education.
Prerequisite Course Required (6-11 credit hours)
Courses Required (32 credit hours)
Minimum of 9 credit hours, must be approved by advisor. These courses may also be used as electives.
Elective Courses (15 credit hours)