Jul 16, 2018
Anthropology (BA or BS)
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Required
- Grade Requirements: Minimum grade of “C” in courses counted toward fulfilling the major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable) and an overall GPA of 2.00.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation, of which 40 must be upper division credit hours (courses numbered 3000 and above). A minimum of 36 Anthropology credit hours is required within the major.
- Program Code: Anthropology General Track (7018T1BA or 7018T1BS), Anthropology Archaeology Track (7018T2BA or 7018T2BS)
- CIPC: Anthropology General Track (450201), Anthropology Archaeology Track (450201)
A systematic advisement system assigns all declared Major students to a faculty advisor. Students are officially notified that they must be formally advised at least once a year with all contacts posted in their files which are maintained in the department. Undeclared Majors/Minors/BIS students and those with general questions should contact the current Coordinator of Anthropology via the Sociology/Anthropology department office (phone: 801-626-6241).
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ). There are no special admission or application requirements for the major or minor. New freshmen and transfer students admitted to WSU in good standing qualify for admission to this major.
Core and General Education
Refer to Degree Requirements for either Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts requirements. The following courses may be used to fulfill both general education and program requirements: ANTH SS/DV 1000 , ANTH LS/DV 1020 , ANTH HU/DV 1040 , ANTH SS/DV 2010 , and ANTH SS 2030 . (See university policy on any limitations).
Major Course Requirements for BS or BA Degree
Required Program Courses (12 credit hours)
In addition, students must select one of the following two tracks to pursue.
General Anthropology Track
Four-Field Fundamentals Courses (6 credit hours)
Select two courses from the following
Electives (18 credit hours)
Select a minimum of 18 additional credit hours from the following
- ANTH 1020 LS/DV - Biological Anthropology Credits: (3) *
- ANTH 1040 HU/DV - Language and Culture Credits: (3) *
- ANTH 2010 SS/DV - Peoples and Cultures of the World Credits: (3) *
- ANTH 2030 SS - Principles of Archaeology Credits: (3) *
- ANTH 2810 - Experimental Courses Credits: (1-6)
- ANTH 2920 - Short Courses, Workshops, Institutes, and Special Programs Credits: (1-6)
- ANTH 2950 - Elementary Anthropological Field Trip Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 2990 - Special Topics in Anthropology Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 3100 - Prehistory of North America Credits: (3)
- ANTH 3200 - Archaeology of Early Civilizations Credits: (3)
- ANTH 3300 - Archaeological Field Techniques Credits: (3-6)
- ANTH 3400 - Archaeological Laboratory Techniques Credits: (3)
- ANTH 3500 - Advanced Cultural Anthropology Credits: (3)
- ANTH 3600 - Culture Area Studies Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 3700 - Sex Roles: Past, Present and Future Credits: (3)
- ANTH 3900 - Magic, Shamanism and Religion Credits: (3)
- ANTH 4100 - Archaeological Method, Theory, and Cultural Resource Management Credits: (3)
- ANTH 4810 - Experimental Courses Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 4830 - Readings and/or Projects Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 4890 - Internship in Anthropology Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 4920 - Short Courses, Workshops, Institutes, and Special Programs Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 4950 - Advanced Anthropological Field Trip Credits: (1-3)
- ANTH 4990 - Seminar in Anthropology Credits: (1-3)
* Course may not be used to fulfill both elective and four-field fundamental course requirements.