May 27, 2018
The Department of Athletic Training and Nutrition (ATN) offers an undergraduate program in Athletic Therapy. This program is designed for students preparing to enter professional graduate programs in athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician’s assistant programs, and/or medicine. Students who graduate from this major only will NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO SIT FOR THE BOARD OF CERTIFICATION (BOC) EXAM TO BECOME A CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER OR ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATION EXAM. These students take many of the support courses, professional knowledge courses, and many of the AT major courses (see Course Requirements). However, Athletic Therapy students DO NOT take the Clinical Application courses. Instead, these students complete the prerequisites required to enter their chosen graduate program.
- Program Prerequisites: Make application and be accepted to Weber State University. Formally declare Athletic Therapy as an intended major with the ATN advisement coordinator. (See Admission Requirements below.)
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirements: Grade of “B-” or better in all Athletic Therapy major courses and grade of “C” or better in all support courses and electives in addition to a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in all courses required for this major.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation - 40 of which must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above).
- Program Code: 5037BS
- CIPC: 511199
The Athletic Therapy Program Director serves as the faculty advisor to Athletic Therapy majors. The advisor is available to the student for counseling on grades and progress toward graduation. Athletic Therapy majors must meet with a faculty advisor at least once within the first two weeks of each semester. It is the responsibility of the student to schedule the required meetings with the advisor. The ATN department advisement coordinator will serve as the academic advisor prior to admission to the program, and will assist with advisement through completion of the program of study. Call 801-626-6741 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
- Before a student can be considered for the Athletic Therapy program, the following application requirements must be met:
- Admission to Weber State University.
- Submit an Athletic Therapy Student Application and student transcript which demonstrates the following:
- Completion of 25 credit hours with a minimum 3.00 Weber State University GPA. Of these 25 credits, the students must demonstrate completion of
- HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 or ZOOL 2100 and ZOOL 2200
- NUTR 1020 LS
- PSY 1010 SS
- AT 1550 and AT 3300
- Grade “B-” or better in all Athletic Therapy major courses and “C” or better in support courses and electives.
- Applications may be obtained from the Athletic Therapy Program website at http://www.weber.edu/athletictherapy/Admissions.html.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling admissions. Students who fail to meet admission requirements will not be allowed to enroll in AT 4150 , AT 4250 , AT 4650 , or AT 4800 .
- After students are selected into the Athletic Therapy Major, retention in the program will be based on the following criteria:
- Grade “B-” or better in all athletic therapy major courses.
- Grade “C” or better in all the support courses and electives.
- Students must maintain a Weber State University GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Students who fail to meet the retention criteria will be placed on probation in the Athletic Therapy major for one semester. If standards are not met by the end of the probationary period, the student may be dismissed from the major at the discretion of the program director.
- Students who receive any grade below a “B-” in an athletic therapy major course must repeat that course and receive a grade of “B-” or higher to remain in the major.
- Students who receive any grade below a “C” in an athletic therapy support course or elective must repeat that course and receive a grade of “C” or higher to remain in the major.
- Failure to repeat the course (when offered) will result in dismissal from the program at the discretion of the program director.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Science requirements.
Major Course Requirements for BS Degree (64 credit hours)
Athletic Therapy Courses (19 credit hours)
Support Courses (31 credit hours)
Program Electives (must complete at least 14 credits of electives)
* These courses also fulfill General Education or degree requirements.
** Some students will be required to complete an FBI background check and drug test prior to completing the work experience. The expenses, approximately $75, will be paid for by the student. Some students may also be required to secure additional immunizations, including a hepatitis B vaccination, depending on the cooperative work experience site. The expenses, approximately $40-100, will be paid for by the students.
*** Students may also take HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 instead of ZOOL 2100 and ZOOL 2200 . However, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that HTHS 1110 and HTHS 1111 will be accepted as prerequisite courses for their graduate program of choice.
Other Pre-Professional Courses
Athletic Therapy Students also generally take the coursework needed for their professional graduate school (athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician’s assistant, or medicine). These courses typically include CHEM 1110 and CHEM 1120 , PHYS 2010 and PHYS 2020 , and MATH 1060 (Trigonometry). The prerequisites vary somewhat from one graduate program to another and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all pre-professional courses fulfill entrance requirements.