Jul 18, 2018  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog ARCHIVED CATALOG: Content may no longer be accurate.

Secondary Teaching Graduate Certificate

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs Sorted by Degree

Please be advised: All people seeking a post-baccalaureate teaching license will be admitted into the appropriate graduate certificate program for a teaching license and NOT directly into the Master of Education program. This change will affect all candidates who are seeking admittance for summer semester, 2016. Upon successful completion of the licensing requirements, a candidate may request admittance into the MED program. He or she will need to complete the writing sample and an interview with the MED program director. All coursework must be completed within the six (6) year requirement that is in place for the M.Ed. degree.

Gainful Employment Disclosure

  • Program Code: 5043GC
  • CIPC: 131205

Admission Requirements for GCT in Secondary Teaching Licensure Candidates

  1. Admission to Weber State University and application for the Graduate Certificate in Teaching either in Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education.

  2. Payment of the Graduate Certificate program application fee.

  3. Schedule at least one advisement session with either the program director or the administrative assistant prior to completing the application form.

  4. Verification of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.

    • The degree must be in a recognized content major (or equivalent coursework) in a discipline taught in Utah secondary schools and for which WSU can recommend you for a secondary teaching license.

    • A Subject Course Eligibility Checklist must be completed by the director or administrative assistant of the MED program, and all deficient undergraduate coursework must be completed prior to admission into the Graduate Certificate program.

    • Minors cannot be used for a teaching license! If you wish to license in your minor, please see the MED director or advisor for a list of courses you must take prior to acceptance into the program.
  5. Official transcripts from all institutions attended.

    • Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from all institutions attended. (This GPA is a USOE licensing requirement. Students with GPAs below 3.00 will not be considered for the program.)

  6. Completed Graduate Certificate recommendation forms (3).

  7. Take and pass the Praxis II [subject-area test(s)] as required by the Utah State Office of Education [USOE].

  8. Take and pass a background check through USOE and obtain a CACTUS number [it acts like a teacher social security number in the state].

  9. Participate in and pass the group interview process conducted by the Teacher Education Dept.

GPA Requirements for GCT in Secondary Teaching Students

Following admission to the GCT program, students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.  Students must earn at least a B- in all licensure classes.  Coursework in which Cs, Ds, Es, or UWs are earned is unacceptable and could result in removal from the program, if the problem persists. The 3.0 is a Utah State Office of Education requirement and will not be overlooked.

Course Requirements for GCT in Secondary Teaching

The 25+ credit hour program* of study consists of 16 hour credit hours in specific coursework and 8 hours of practicum and student teaching (fieldwork). Practicum is a 2 credit hour “course” which requires a minimum of 60 clock hours in a secondary, subject-specific classroom. Student teaching is a 6 credit hour “course” which requires a minimum of 60 full teaching days in secondary classrooms. Successfully completing this coursework and fieldwork will result in a secondary, level 1 teaching license for the state of Utah.  Student teaching/fieldwork courses will not count as credit towards the M.Ed. degree.

*Required Content Area Methods Course(s)

Every secondary licensing candidate MUST complete one or more content methods teaching course(s) in their subject area. These courses can add between 3-7 credits of requirements towards the license. Most of these courses are offered in undergraduate programs on campus. Please seek advisement from the MED director or advisor.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs Sorted by Degree