Feb 17, 2020
- Program Prerequisite: Audition required for admission to program.
- Minor: Not required.
- Grade Requirement: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for these majors (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable). Also refer to the general grade requirements for graduation .
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 49 credit hours is required within the major. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); 15 of these are required within the major.
- Program Code: 3037BA
- CIPC: 500901
Music majors should meet with an advisor prior to registration. For current advisor listing please refer to School of Music Advisors .
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study (see Enrollment Services and Information ).
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Refer to the Department of Performing Arts policies and procedures .
Major Course Requirements for Bachelor of Arts in Music Degree
Additional Courses Required (minimum of 21 credit hours)
- MUSC 4900 - Senior Project–BA in Music
BA Music Senior Project Policy: Students should enroll in MUSC 4900 only after consultation with and approval by the BA advisor. Ideally, the BA Senior Project will synthesize knowledge and experience acquired from both the music core classes and the students’ area of interest, cultivated through electives. Students should enroll in MUSC 4830 (Directed Readings) the semester immediately before MUSC 4900 in order to refine the project proposal with the help of a faculty mentor. The actual completion of the project takes place the following semester in MUSC 4900, also under faculty mentorship. The final grade for the MUSC 4900 project is determined by a three-person faculty committee assembled by the student. Students wishing to present a recital as their BA senior project should register for MUSC 4900 but must adhere to all the guidelines and procedures for senior recitals (MUSC 4991). Some exceptions can be made at the discretion of the advisor if the recital is but one component of a larger creative/scholarly project.
- Elective Credits: (18)
- up to 3 credits, may be ensemble or applied music
- a minimum of 9 upper-division credits
- advisor approval required for all electives
- All Music BA students must pass the piano proficiency exam
Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA
Six semester-hours of foreign language is required. This requirement may be satisfied by taking two semesters of the same language or one semester each of two different languages.
An additional six semester hours of foreign language or language arts is required.