- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A 2.0 or better in all courses required for this major in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 (C) or higher.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 39 of these must be English courses. A total of 40 upper division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); a minimum of 30 of these must be English courses.
- Program Code: 3020BA
- CIPC: 231302
English Creative Writing Emphasis majors are expected to meet with a faculty advisor at least twice annually for course and program advisement. Please call 801-626-6251 for more information or to schedule an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Use Grad MAPs to plan your degree
Declare your program of study at the English department office, Elizabeth Hall 413. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program.
Refer to Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts requirements. See Language Courses Required to fulfill the BA listed under the major course requirements.
Consult with a departmental advisor for detailed general education guidelines.
For CA, students must take ENGL 2250 (Intro to Creative Writing. This course will be required before you may take upper division creative writing coursework.)
Program Learning Outcomes
- Experiment in writing and develop drafts into polished original work.
- Show critical self-awareness.
- Exhibit editorial proficiency.
- Understand the professional writing environment.
- Show knowledge of contemporary, canonical, and marginalized literature.