Jun 20, 2018
- Program Prerequisite: Not required.
- Minor: Students may complete a minor approved by their academic advisor OR one of the tracks associated with any of the six interdisciplinary emphasis areas: Civic Advocacy, Digital Media, Interpersonal & Family Communication, Multimedia Journalism, Organizational Communication, and Public Relations & Advertising. A student may not receive both a major and a minor from the Department of Communication.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable), in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher for all courses.
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation. A total of 40 upper-division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above). Between 27 and 35 of these are required within the major, depending on the selected concentration.
- Program Code: Communication (3017) with emphasis code Civic Advocacy (3051), Communication Studies/Communication Teaching (3016), Digital Media(3068), Interpersonal & Family (3053), Multimedia Journalism (3069), Multimedia Journalism/Communication Teaching (3070), Organizational Communication (3054), Public Relations & Advertising (3055).
- CIPC: Communication (090101) with emphasis code Civic Advocacy (090904), Communication Studies/Communication Teaching (131399), Digital Media(090199), Interpersonal & Family (090101), Multimedia Journalism (099999), Multimedia Journalism/Communication Teaching (131399), Organizational Communication (090901), Public Relations & Advertising (090999).
To enroll in upper division Communication courses, a student must be admitted as a major or hold upper division standing in the university. Students must complete at least 50 percent of their Communication course work at Weber State University in order to receive a major or a minor in Communication.
Students are encouraged to meet with the appropriate department advisor depending on their selected interdisciplinary concentration. Refer to the Communication Department Web page for a current list of department advisors - weber.edu/communication.
Declare your program of study at the Communication Department office, Elizabeth Hall 330. No special admission or application requirements are needed for this program.
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements for either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science requirements. See specific requirements for the BA and BS under the major course requirements. The following courses, required for the Communication major, will also satisfy general education requirements: COMM 1020 , COMM 2010 , and COMM 2110 .
Select one of the following:
- Civic Advocacy
- Digital Media
- Interpersonal & Family Communication
- Multimedia Journalism
- Organizational Communication
- Public Relations & Advertising
Major Course Requirements for BS or BA Degree
Students, regardless of their concentration, must successfully complete required and elective Communication courses that are specified for each concentration. Students must also complete required and/or elective courses from non-Communication departments.
Required Courses for all Majors (24 credit hours)
Courses Required to fulfill the BS (12 credit hours)
Select 4 courses (12 credit hours) from the following. Pick 3 credit hours from Physical Sciences and 3 credit hours from Life Sciences.
Public Relations & Advertising Interdisciplinary Concentration (45 credit hours)
The Public Relations & Advertising interdisciplinary concentration provides students with theoretical and practical skills in writing, critical thinking, marketing, advertising and communicating to influence public opinion across a range of media. In the Public Relations & Advertising concentration students must specialize in one of the following five emphases: (1) Copywriting, (2) Health Care Public Relations, (3) International Public Relations, (4) Marketing, or (5) Visual Communication.
Required Courses (27 credit hours)
Three of the following courses (9 credit hours)
Elective Courses (18 credit hours)
Additional required course for International Public Relations Emphasis
Additional required course for Marketing Emphasis