Jul 18, 2018
Communication Teaching Major (BS or BA)
- Program Prerequisite: Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department ).
- Minor: Required.
- Grade Requirements: A grade of “C” or better in courses required for this major (a grade of “C-” is not acceptable).
- Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for graduation; a minimum of 47-48 of these are required within the major, depending on the selected concentration. A total of 40 upper-division credit hours is required (courses numbered 3000 and above); a minimum of 24-36 of these is required within the major, depending on the selected concentration.
- Program Code: Communication (3017) with emphasis code Civic Advocacy (3051), Communication Studies/Communication Teaching (3016), Digital Media(3068), Interpersonal & Family (3053), Multimedia Journalism (3069), Multimedia Journalism/Communication Teaching (3070), Organizational Communication (3054), Public Relations & Advertising (3055).
- CIPC: Communication (090101) with emphasis code Civic Advocacy (090904), Communication Studies/Communication Teaching (131399), Digital Media(090199), Interpersonal & Family (090101), Multimedia Journalism (099999), Multimedia Journalism/Communication Teaching (131399), Organizational Communication (090901), Public Relations & Advertising (090999).
Communication students are required to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually for course and program advisement. Teaching majors are encouraged to also consult with advisors in the Jerry and Vickie Moyes College of Education (call 801-626-6269). (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Declare your program of study at the Communication Department office, Elizabeth Hall 330. Teaching majors must meet the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements (see Teacher Education Department in this catalog).
Refer to Degree and General Education Requirements of this catalog for either Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts requirements. See specific requirements for the BA and BS under the major course requirements. The following courses required for this major will also fulfill general education requirements: COMM 1020 or COMM 2010 and COMM 2110 .
The State of Utah endorses secondary teachers in two areas of Communication: Speech and Journalism. Accordingly, the Communication Teaching major is divided into two concentrations: Communication Studies (Speech) and Journalism. All Communication Teaching majors must complete one of these two concentrations:
Major Course Requirements for BS or BA Degree
Students, regardless of their concentration, must successfully complete required and elective Communication courses that are specified for each concentration. Students must also complete required and/or elective courses from non-Communication departments.
Communication Courses Required of all Communication Teaching Majors (21 credit hours)
*Students must take either COMM 1020 or COMM 2110 as a foundation course requirement for the Communication Teaching major, whichever is not used for Teacher Education Admission requirements.
Courses Required to fulfill the BA (12 credit hours)
Complete either Option 1 or Option 2
Option 1 - Foreign Language
- Select 4 courses (12 credit hours) in a foreign language
Option 2 - Foreign Language with Language Arts
Select two courses (6 credit hours) from the following plus two courses (6 credit hours) in a foreign language
Multimedia Journalism Concentration (27 credit hours)
Required Courses (18 credit hours)
Electives (9 credit hours)
Select 9 credit hours of electives from the following with approval from the department’s communication education advisor for the Journalism concentration.